Essex

Lucked out: Man's arm 'completely stuck' in letterbox

A letterbox
Image caption The fire service urged people not to forget their keys on a night out

A man who forgot his keys and tried to break into his own home then had to call firefighters when his arm became trapped in his letterbox.

Returning from a night out in the early hours he found he could not get in and reached through the letterbox in a vain attempt to open his front door.

A fire crew was called at about 02:30 GMT to Hazledon Close, Chelmsford.

It first removed the letterbox from the door then carefully freed his arm.

'Don't forget keys'

Essex County Fire & Rescue Service watch manager Nick Singleton said: "We only attend incidents like this if we believe there might be a risk to someone's health or potential fire.

"But in this case the man's arm was completely stuck.

"We encourage everyone to take care on a night out, not put yourself in danger, and of course, try not to forget your keys."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites