Large fire breaks out at Shoeburyness industrial estate
About 50 firefighters tackled a large blaze at an industrial estate in Essex.
Plumes of black smoke from the fire at a building on Towerfield Road, Shoeburyness, were seen for miles.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service advised people living and working nearby to keep doors and windows closed.
Police said no-one was hurt in the fire, which started shortly before 11:00 BST and was brought under control by about 13:30.
A spokesman said the fierce heat caused the roof of the building to collapse, meaning firefighters had not been able to enter.
A platform was used to spray water from above to dampen hotspots within the roof.
Witness James Matthews said the fire was at a polystyrene factory on the estate.
"It just literally went up - it was like through the roof, through the windows - everything."
He added: "The smoke stinks - they're toxic fumes - it's really heavy in the air."
He said Essex Police was at the scene and had blocked off Towerfield Road.
At 16:45 Essex Fire Service confirmed the incident had been scaled down, but firefighters were still spraying water on the building to cool hotspots.
A full investigation will take place on Tuesday.