BBC News

Warning about exploding cigarette lighter

Published
image captionAnyone who has bought one of the lighters is urged to take them to the Trading Standards office

A giant cigarette lighter bought in Gloucester exploded and caused a fire, trading standards investigators have said.

The £2.50 Hailu lighter, bought from Wellington Stores, in Wellington Street, on Friday, exploded in the early hours of Sunday.

The customer was woken up by a loud bang and found the lighter had caused at least three small fires.

At least four of the lighters sold at the shop are still in circulation.

The lighters are 16cm (6.3in) long and 4cm 91.6in) wide.

A warning sticker on the back of the lighter is white with red and black writing in Malayan. There are no warnings or instructions in English.

Eddie Coventry, head of Gloucestershire Trading Standards, said: "The investigation into these lighters is ongoing."

He urged anyone who has bought one to take it to the trading standards office in Denmark Road, Gloucester, from Monday to Friday between 0930 and 1600 GMT.

More on this story

  • Trading standards online counterfeit goods warning