Collapsed footballer resuscitated by paramedics on next pitch

Mark Moore
Image caption Mr Moore collapsed while playing on a pitch near Pen Park Road in Bristol

A non-league footballer who suffered a cardiac arrest on the pitch was resuscitated by a team of paramedics playing nearby.

Mark Moore, 27, from Gloucester, collapsed while playing for Longlevens during a game at Southmead in Bristol on Tuesday evening.

Paramedics from Great Western Ambulance Service, playing on the next pitch, used their defibrillator to revive him.

The club said he was in a "stable but critical condition" in hospital.

Paramedic Ben Lunn said: "If you're going to have a cardiac arrest, being next door to lots of paramedics, he stands a much better chance [of survival] than anyone else.

Mr Lunn compared the incident to that of Bolton's Fabrice Muamba, who collapsed on the pitch during an FA Cup game against Tottenham in March.

'Restart his heart'

The incident happened on pitches off Pen Park Road in the Southmead area of Bristol in a match between Southmead and Longlevens in the Gloucestershire County League Cup.

Mr Lunn added: "Someone came over saying someone's collapsed on the field. We pretty quickly realised that CPR was going on and most of us ran over.

"It was immediate to us he was in cardiac arrest. One of the guys had some kit in his car so we started full CPR procedure.

"About nine paramedics were there. Between us we did full resuscitation on him and managed to restart his heart."

Former chairman of Longlevens AFC, Mark Cornell, said: "Mark just collapsed and passed out. He was having a fit on the pitch.

"Luckily enough there was a group of paramedics playing on the pitch next door who were able to help him.

"He's as fit as a fiddle, he trains two or three times a week. It's something you wouldn't expect."

Mr Moore is being treated in intensive care at Bristol Royal Infirmary.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites