Gloucestershire

Partridges die in fire at Aston Subedge

About 1,500 partridges have been killed in a fire in Gloucestershire.

The fire service said ten propane gas cylinders had caught fire at a partridge rearing farm in Aston Subedge.

Crews were called from Chipping Campden and Moreton in Marsh to the blaze just before 07:00 BST.

A Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said he believed the fire started in a heater in one of the eight sheds used to house the birds.

Chief fire officer Jon Hall said: "This was an unfortunate but devastating fire, which has resulted in significant loss for this farm.

"We would urge commercial premises to be very careful when storing propane gas cylinders and regularly check fixtures and fittings to prevent the worst from happening."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites