Injured M5 coach passengers released from hospital

Coach on its side
Image caption The coach crashed and overturned while taking people on a day trip to Weston-super-Mare

All the passengers injured in a coach crash on the M5 near Stroud on Tuesday have been released from hospital.

Only the driver is still being treated for shoulder and rib injuries, a spokesman for the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT) said.

The crash happened just before 10:00 BST close to junction 13 for Stroud.

A spokesperson for Action for Children, which chartered the coach, said 25 children aged between 11 months and eight years had been on board.

Christopher Nice from the CPT, which represents operators of UK buses, said: "All the passengers were discharged last night and the coach company was able to transfer them back to West Bromwich.

Trip to the beach

"The only person who remains in hospital is the driver who has sustained some shoulder and rib injuries, although they are not believed to be too serious."

Mr Nice said the vehicle would be checked by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency "to see if there were any problems".

Image caption The southbound carriageway of the motorway was closed for several hours after the crash

He added the coach driver was due to be interviewed to try to find out what led to it overturning and ending up in a ditch.

The coach, carrying 53 people, had been taking a group of youngsters from a children's centre in Sandwell on a trip to the beach in Weston-super-Mare.

'People started screaming'

It was operated by Stourbridge-based Prospect Coaches. Five adults and one child were injured.

The southbound carriageway of the motorway was closed for several hours after the crash.

Image caption A Gloucestershire Police spokesman said an investigation into the crash was continuing

Barinder Kaur, who was on board with her two children, said people "started screaming" before the coach left the road.

"The coach started to shake then it just turned over. My eyes were closed. I hit something and when I opened my eyes there was broken glass and blood everywhere."

A Gloucestershire Police spokesman said an investigation was continuing.

Related Topics

More on this story

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites