Kayleigh Ann Palmer strangled in 'jealous' rage by boyfriend, court told

Kayleigh Ann Palmer Image copyright PA
Image caption Kayleigh Ann Palmer died in hospital three days after the attack, jurors heard

A teenager strangled his 16-year-old girlfriend in a "jealous" rage, killing her and their unborn baby girl, a court heard.

Aston Robinson, 18, allegedly punched Kayleigh Ann Palmer before wrapping a scarf around her neck to make her "be quiet".

He pulled it tight before Kayleigh fell to the floor of his parents' home, Bristol Crown Court heard.

Robinson denies murder and child destruction.

Prosecuting, Christopher Quinlan QC, said: "When he strangled her he caused the death of the unborn child, a girl she was carrying."

'Be quiet'

Robinson's sister discovered Kayleigh unconscious at the house in Cheltenham shortly after the attack on 2 April.

She was taken to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, where medics tried to save her and her unborn baby, which was 24 weeks old.

The baby's heartbeat stopped the following day and Kayleigh was pronounced dead on 5 April, after doctors induced labour.

The court heard on Monday Robinson handed himself in to police and admitted he strangled her, but had not intended to kill her.

He had held the red tartan scarf around her neck for up to 30 seconds, the jury was told.

"He said he used her scarf and he did it because he was jealous and, in his words, wanted her to 'be quiet'," Mr Quinlan said.

'Controlling behaviour'

Robinson later wrote to Kayleigh's mother, Helen Bage, from his prison cell, apologising for his actions, the court heard.

A letter read to the jury said: "God took her away in peace, away from my accusations and my controlling behaviour."

Mr Quinlan said Kayleigh was "besotted" by Robinson, who suffered from "paranoia" and "jealousy" when she was talking to, or in the company of, other boys.

The jury heard the couple's year-long relationship was marred with violence, with Robinson punching Kayleigh when she first told him she might be pregnant in October 2013.

A post-mortem examination found she had died from brain injuries caused following her strangulation.

The pathologist found 20 separate injuries to her body, from bruising to her cheek, arms and legs to ligature marks on her neck.

The trial continues.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites