Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Dan Seaborne: Men freed after footballer attack

Dan Seaborne
Image caption Dan Seaborne was found outside a Southampton nightclub in the early hours

Two men arrested over an attack on a Southampton footballer have been released from police custody.

Dan Seaborne, 24, was found collapsed outside Junk nightclub, London Road, in the early hours of Friday. He remains in hospital in a serious condition.

Hampshire police said a 35-year-old man from Southampton, arrested after the incident, has been released on bail pending further inquiries.

The second man, a 29-year-old from the city, has been released without charge.

More than 3,700 people have joined a Facebook page, called Get well soon Dan Seaborne, in support of the player.

And Belgian team-mate Steve De Ridder posted on his Twitter page: "Speedy recovery Dan! Absolutely shocked!"

Supporters and clubs from around England and Scotland also posted hundreds of messages of support on both social networking sites.

A police spokesman said officers had established that Seaborne's injuries were sustained after he left the nightclub.

Police were called to the venue shortly before 03:00 BST.

The defender, who signed from Exeter last year, was treated by paramedics before being taken to hospital. He had sustained serious head injuries which were initially described as "life-threatening".

Image caption The area around the nightclub has been cordoned off

The police spokesman said: "Investigating officers have established that Mr Seaborne was involved in a minor verbal altercation within the nightclub and was asked to leave.

"He subsequently left the club with a friend.

"A further altercation then took place outside the nightclub that resulted in Mr Seaborne sustaining his injuries and detectives are talking to potential witnesses and viewing CCTV footage to try and establish exactly what caused these injuries."

Southampton FC said on Friday they could confirm Seaborne had suffered "a significant head injury and is in hospital under close observation".

They said his condition was "currently stable" and he was "showing signs of improvement".

Exeter City have sent the player their best wishes.

Seaborne began his career at the club before moving to the Championship side in January 2010.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites