Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Southampton flats fire: Chip pan sparks blaze

Emergency services at scene of fire
Image caption Police closed West Park Road while the fire was dealt with

Firefighters have tackled a blaze at a block of flats in Southampton after a resident left his home with a chip pan still on.

Police closed West Park Road after emergency services were called to Empire View just before 10:30 BST.

Some people were told to leave while crews extinguished the fire on the third floor.

A fire service spokeswoman said all residents were accounted for and an investigation had started.