William Luckett died of peanut reaction
A teenager with a nut allergy died after eating a Chinese takeaway meal containing peanuts, an inquest has heard.
William Luckett, 15, who was staying at his father's house on the Isle of Wight, did not realise the BBQ ribs meal contained nuts, the court heard.
He did not have an Epi pen and died after attempts to revive him failed.
A conclusion of death by anaphylaxis caused by a peanut allergy was recorded.
Investigations showed the BBQ sauce contained peanut butter, the Newport inquest was told.
The court heard William, who lived with his mother in Newent, Gloucestershire, was four when he had his first allergic reaction to nuts, and six when he was diagnosed as having a nut intolerance.
His mother, Helen Stiles, told the court they were given Epi pens, containing adrenalin, but never had to use them and in time the prescriptions stopped.
She said William, who was also asthmatic and had Asperger syndrome, was very sensible about avoiding foods containing nuts.
In December 2012, his father, Steven Luckett, bought a takeaway for him from the Hong Kong Express restaurant in Ryde.
Mr Luckett said William ate it all the time in different restaurants and believed it to be safe, but did not ask on this occasion if it contained nuts.
During the meal at Mr Luckett's home, William left the table and began having breathing difficulties, the inquest heard.
He seemed to be improving but then worsened - his lips swelled and he began to turn blue.
He lost consciousness, an ambulance was called and he was pronounced dead on arrival at hospital.
The restaurant's menu had a general warning that its food may contain nuts but no specific warning for the ribs, the court heard.
However, the inquest was told it was not required to provide one by law and was complying with regulations.
Senior coroner Caroline Sumeray said an Epi pen may not have saved William's life but added it may have made a difference.
She said the case acted as a reminder to people of the need to carry emergency medication.
She paid tribute to a "wonderful son" who was a talented musician and much loved by his family.