Homes evacuated due to gas main fire in Farnborough
Dozens of residents in Farnborough were forced to leave their homes after a gas main caught fire.
The fire broke out in Reading Road shortly after 03:30 BST.
Firefighters used cooling sprays to protect properties from the blaze which erupted from the road and is believed to have started within roadworks.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said at its height the fire reached temperatures of more than 1,000 degrees Celsius and flames reached 6m (20ft).
SGN engineers disconnected the gas supply to the pipe and the fire was extinguished by about 08:40 BST.
The fire service said people would be allowed to return to their homes shortly.
About 48 residents were taken to a local village hall in the early hours for their safety.