Carol Ann Duffy opens Hull University's £28m library after revamp
The University of Hull's Brynmor Jones Library has been officially opened by poet laureate Carol Ann Duffy after a £28m refurbishment.
It is part of a £98m overhaul of the university, which includes a new health campus, a revamp of Middleton Hall and a new £30m student halls complex.
The desk of poet Philip Larkin, who served as librarian for 30 years, has been restored during the work.
Ms Duffy read a poem after the ceremony accompanied by musician John Sampson.
Improvements include a new reading room, art gallery - which houses the University's art collection - and an exhibition hall.
A two-storey glass atrium and central staircase has also been installed.
Brynmor Jones Library first opened in 1929.
Larkin took up his librarian role in 1955 and remained in the job until his death in 1985. During his time, he oversaw two refurbishments of the library.
Elsewhere at the university, work started earlier this year on the new 565-bed accommodation in the Cottingham Road Campus and redevelopment of the Middleton Hall theatre and conference space.
The development mainly includes eight-bedroom flats with a smaller number of four-bedroom flats, deluxe flats, studio flats and wheelchair-accessible flats.
Students are expected to take up residence in 2016.