Fire breaks out at Haltemprice Crematorium

  • Published
Scene of the blazeImage source, Tandem Funerals/Twitter
Image caption,
Celebrant Irene Kopanska said she arrived at the crematorium for a service to see smoke billowing from the building

A major fire broke out at a crematorium shortly before a service was due to start.

The blaze, at Haltemprice Crematorium, in Willerby, East Yorkshire, started at about 09:30 BST.

Humberside Fire and Rescue said a "severe" blaze took hold in the roof space of the chapel.

Crematorium director Steve Gant said no-one was hurt and the fire may have been caused by a fan malfunction inside the cremation equipment.

"All funeral services today have been cancelled and we thank those bereaved families and funeral directors for being so understanding," he said.

He added it was not possible to currently assess the damage but "hoped to be operational as soon as possible".

Image source, Tandem Funerals/Twitter
Image caption,
Humberside Fire and Rescue said six crews were brought in to tackle the blaze

Irene Kopanska, funeral celebrant for Tandem Funerals, said she arrived for a service to see smoke billowing from the building.

"I went up to check everyone was OK," she said.

"As we stood on the lawn more and more fire engines arrived."

"It's a wooden roof. I can imagine it's done a lot of damage," she added.

Follow BBC Yorkshire on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Send your story ideas to yorkslincs.news@bbc.co.uk or send video here.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.