Brothers jailed for murder of uncle run over in Kent

Image caption,
Billy and George and their father were convicted of Jack Treeby's murder

Two brothers have been jailed for life for murdering their uncle who was run down by a Range Rover in Kent.

Father-of-five Jack Treeby, 43, died after being knocked down in Tovil, near Maidstone, last December.

Billy Treeby, 29, and George Treeby, 23, both from Paddock Wood, were sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court.

Their father Bill Treeby, 50, who was also convicted of the murder, was found dead in his cell in Elmley Prison on Sheppey on Sunday.

His wife Charity Treeby, 51, who was cleared of the same charge, but convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Gary Treeby, Jack's brother, was jailed for eight years.

'Lawlessness and terror'

Sentencing Billy and George Treeby, the judge ordered they should each serve a minimum of 23 years.

Judge Andrew Patience told the pair: "I accept that the tragic events of this weekend have forcefully brought home to each of you in stark relief the enormity of your crimes.

Image caption,
Jack Treeby suffered head and chest injuries when he was hit by the Range Rover

"That night you brought lawlessness and terror to a quiet Maidstone street. No-one who heard the sounds from the CCTV can be in any doubt of that.

"You hunted down Jack and Gary Treeby ruthlessly and without mercy. Jack Treeby was run down and then left to die in the street."

Det Ch Insp Rob Vinson said: "This was a premeditated event. They went there prepared to kill and they callously took the life of one person and shot down another member of their own family."

During the trial, the court heard how tensions involving a property dispute between two sides of the large Treeby family led to the events of 27 December 2009.

Image caption,
Charity Treeby was jailed for eight years

Kent police were called to Quarry Road just before 1900 GMT after reports of men lying injured in the street and a car ablaze.

Jack Treeby died from his injuries after being run over, while his son Jack Treeby junior suffered injuries in a car collision.

Gary Treeby, Jack senior's brother, received a bullet wound.

Bill Treeby, his wife Charity, and their sons Billy and George were all cleared of the attempted murder of Jack Treeby junior, and attempting to cause him grievous bodily harm.

The family, of Queen Street, had denied all charges against them.

Bill Treeby, who had also been due to be sentenced on Wednesday, was found hanged in his cell on Sunday.

The Prison Service said attempts were made to resuscitate him, but he was pronounced dead.

An investigation into his death is due to be held by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.