Kent

Tonbridge tea light fire injures grandmother and grandson

A grandmother and her teenage grandson have suffered burns after trying to tackle a fire at a house in Kent.

The fire in Tonbridge is believed to have been caused by tea lights lit to mark the Nepalese New Year.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service said the elderly woman discovered the fire in Barden Road on Saturday and burned her hands trying to bring it under control.

Her grandson tried to put it out with a bowl of water, which caused the flames to flare up and burn his back.

Both are not thought to be seriously hurt.

Firefighters said due to the large quantity of tea lights lit, a pool of molten wax was created that overheated and caught fire.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites