Jason Swift killer Robert Oliver back in jail

Jason Swift
Image caption Jason Swift was gang raped and killed by an east London padeophile gang in 1985

A convicted paedophile who admitted breaking a court order banning him from allowing children into his home in Kent has been sent back to prison.

Robert Oliver, 58, who has changed his name to Karl Curtis, was part of an east London paedophile gang who killed 14-year-old Jason Swift in 1985.

He pleaded guilty before Maidstone magistrates to two breaches of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO).

Oliver was remanded in custody to await sentencing at Maidstone Crown Court.

Oliver, who was jailed for 15 years for the manslaughter of Jason Swift, was released from prison in 1997 after serving two-thirds of his sentence.

Kent Police said a concerned member of the public in Maidstone contacted officers about a neighbour on Friday.

Oliver was arrested and appeared at Maidstone Magistrates' Court under his adopted name of Karl Curtis on Saturday, when he was remanded in custody.

'Protect public'

He appeared before the court again on Wednesday. No date has yet been set for sentencing.

Oliver was rehoused in Maidstone in 2006 after police had to escort him from a house in Somerset when crowds of protesters gathered outside.

His whereabouts in Bishop's Lydeard were revealed by a Sunday newspaper.

Oliver was being monitored by Mappa, the multi-agency team set up to manage serious violent and sex offenders after their release from prison.

He pleaded guilty to breaching a SOPO imposed two years ago.

Kent Mappa said breaching a SOPO was a criminal offence, which carries a maximum penalty of five years imprisonment.

A Kent Police spokesman said it was committed to supervising and managing registered sex offenders in the community.

"The force works closely with other agencies, and follows national guidance from the Home Office to protect the public from harm," it said in a statement.

"In this particular case a concerned member of the public contacted Kent Police.

"These concerns were dealt with as a matter of urgency and within hours of receiving the information Kent Police had arrested and charged an individual."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites