Dover toddler died after swallowing mum's methadone

  • Published
Lucy King arriving at Maidstone Crown Court for trial
Image caption,
Lucy King left a cup of methadone on the living floor while she slept, the court heard

A two-year-old girl died from a fatal dose of a heroin substitute left on the sitting room floor by her mother, a court heard.

Lucy King denies manslaughter by gross negligence after her daughter Frankie Hedgecock drank the drug.

Opening the case against her, the prosecution stated Ms King waited two hours to call 999.

Instead of acting quickly, she messaged her friends on Facebook and watched The Jeremy Kyle show, the court heard.

It happened at Ms King's Home in De Burgh Street, Dover, in June 2015.

Maidstone Crown Court heard how Ms King, 39, left methadone in a cup on the floor.

It was intended for her but Ms King told paramedics Frankie drank it at about 07:30 BST while Ms King slept on the sofa.

Frankie was taken to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, but was pronounced dead at 11.04 BST.

Rowan Jenkins, prosecuting, told the court: "By the time Lucy King had bothered to mention the fact that Frankie had taken methadone to anybody at all it was far too late to save her.

"That is the tragic reality. The failing was so basic, so far removed from the standard of care that a mother should owe to her child that it was grossly negligent."

Lucy King denies two counts of manslaughter by gross negligence.

The trial continues.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.