Funeral for honeymoon shark attack victim Ian Redmond


The funeral of a British honeymooner who was killed in a shark attack in the Seychelles has been held at the church where he married.

Ian Redmond, 30, was killed on 16 August, 10 days after his wedding at St Michael and All Angels Church in Dalton, west Lancashire.

Hundreds of family and friends returned to the church to mourn his death.

A lone piper led the procession into the church, followed by Mr Redmond's 27-year-old widow Gemma Redmond.

Up to 300 people packed the church for the service conducted by the Rev Tim Barton.

About 200 more mourners stood outside in the grounds and listened to the service on loudspeakers.

Mrs Redmond. a primary school teacher, gave a tribute to her "darling husband Ian" - "my soul mate and best friend".

She recalled her wedding day, which she said was "quite simply the most wonderful day" of her life.

'Perfect man'

She spoke of their honeymoon: "We felt so at peace, so relaxed and were so excited about the future. It was truly romantic.

"Each and every time you went swimming and snorkelling and I watched you, I could never quite believe that I was married to you.

"You were the most handsome and perfect man I have ever seen and I always longed for you to come back out of the sea and be back with me."

Image source, Not Specified
Image caption,
Although Gemma and Ian Redmond were newlyweds, they had been together for nine years

Mr Redmond, an IT specialist, was savaged by a shark as he swam in the waters off Anse Lazio beach on Praslin, the second largest island in the archipelago.

The couple had moved into their new home, a cottage in Roby Mill, Skelmersdale, on their wedding night.

Mr Redmond had refurbished the Grade II-listed building.

Mrs Redmond said she was still in shock that he had gone but was "comforted and consoled by the rich tapestry of our memories that we formed over our nine years together".

'Boundless energy'

Mr Redmond went to Fisher More High School and Nelson and Colne College.

He studied computer science at the University of Manchester and met his future wife there.

Father Michael Howarth, who was priest at Holy Saviours RC Church in Nelson where Mr Redmond was an altar boy, read out a tribute on behalf of Mr Redmond's parents.

He said he was "smart, athletic, with boundless energy and a ready smile on his face".

"He enriched so many lives," he said.

Mr Redmond's death was the second fatal shark attack at the destination in a month. A 36-year-old French tourist was killed by a shark in the same area two weeks before.

More on this story