Driver 'blows up' car with 'excessive' use of air freshener
A driver caused an explosion in his car when he lit a cigarette after spraying air freshener.
He used "excessive" amounts of the aerosol scent before sparking up, according to firefighters.
Gas from the spray ignited, blew out the windscreen and windows and buckled the doors but the man escaped with only minor injuries.
Police said the incident in Halifax on Saturday "could've been worse" and warned people to follow safety advice.
The motorist was in stationary traffic in Fountain Street in the town at about 15:00 GMT on Saturday when the explosion happened.
It was so powerful it caused damage to windows at nearby businesses.
You may also be interested in:
- More stories from Yorkshire
- Hundreds of fake McDonald's coffee stickers seized
- '£50m worth' of jewellery stolen from heiress
- Couple's 48-year-old boiler finally packs up
The road was closed while an investigation was carried out by police and the fire service.
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the cause of the "dramatic" incident was "excessive" air freshener use.