Adult care costs in Leicestershire to rise by 50%

Costs for adult care for some Leicestershire residents is set to rise by 50%, the Conservative county council has confirmed.

For residents who have savings over £23,000, costs will increase from £8.60 per hour of care to £13 per hour.

Penny Tyler from Kibworth, whose elderly mother pays for home care, said she was angry about the way the decision had been made.

The county council's Mick Connell said the price increase was necessary.

"It's a big increase, we recognise that," said Mr Connell, director of adults and communities.

"We had a consultation...and had to consider whether it was right that the council was heavily subsidising services and we also looked at what we charged.

"But 40% of people don't pay anything at all for their care and the other 60% undergo a financial assessment of their individual circumstances. Only those that can afford to pay do so.

"We did feel the charges were behind the average and we are facing unprecedented financial challenges," he said.

Mrs Tyler said she did not object to paying for care but was unhappy about the way her mother had been informed about the increase.

"My mother has the funds to pay for her care, that is not the issue and the care she receives is excellent.

"But for it to have gone up by more than 50% seems a lot to me when you're talking about looking after the most vulnerable members of the community."

The care costs will rise from 4 October.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites