Leicester Megazone death: Laser game safety call

Aryan Patel Image copyright Rajendra Patel
Image caption Aryan Patel was described as "bubbly" with a "great sense of humour"

The father of an eight-year-old boy who died when a teenager fell on him in a laser game has called for safety guidelines to be changed.

Aryan Patel died from internal injuries in the accident at Leicester's Megazone Laser Tag in April, an inquest found.

Rajendra Patel said players should be grouped according to their height.

Megazone said safety officials found its "practices and conduct to be completely in order", but would consider if improvements could be made.

Leicester City Council told the inquest into Aryan's death on Thursday it would be taking no action against Megazone because it was satisfied with the company's health and safety procedures.

Image copyright Google
Image caption Megazone said safety officers found its "practices and conduct to be completely in order"

An inquest jury concluded his death was accidental.

The laser tag session included 33 other people who were above the age of six and taller than 3ft 7in (1.1m).

Mr Patel, from Leicester, said his son, who was 3ft 11in (1.2m), had been playing with children of different ages and heights.

"We don't want this accident to be repeated and another family to suffer the pain we are going through," he said.

"Megazone and similar companies need to change how players are grouped... people with similar heights should play together."

Image copyright Rajendra Patel
Image caption Eight-year-old Aryan Patel, who was 3ft 11in (1.2m), died from internal injuries after a 6ft (1.8m) teenage boy fell on top of him
Image copyright Rajendra Patel
Image caption Aryan's father Rajendra said the family will "miss everything about Aryan everyday"

Mr Patel described Aryan as "bubbly" with a "great sense of humour".

"He used to laugh and joke about... and he was caring, he used to look after his older brother," Mr Patel said.

"We will miss everything about Aryan everyday."

Image caption The inquest lasted two days at Leicester Coroner's Court

The teenage boy, who was about 6ft (1.8m), told the inquest he did not realise Aryan was there because of his slight build and the dark lighting in the room.

Aryan died in hospital from a liver injury and subsequent blood loss.

Image copyright Rajendra Patel
Image caption Megazone has offered its "deepest condolences" to Aryan's family

In a statement, Megazone said: "The health and safety officers have investigated our operation and found our company practices and conduct to be completely in order.

"We are sympathetic to the family's concerns and will consider if and where we can make further improvements.

"Whilst this is the only incident of this nature in 26 years of operation, we will always seek to enhance our policies and maintain the highest standards of safety.

The company said it was a "tragic accident" and offered its "deepest condolences" to Aryan's family.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites