Leicester

Big John's fire: Huge blaze rips through fast-food restaurant

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionLarge fire at takeaway restaurant

A huge fire that ripped through a fast-food restaurant in Leicester was caused by an electrical fault, investigators have said.

The blaze at Big John's in Humberstone Road was reported at about 07:30 GMT after smoke was seen coming from the building.

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said 90% of the roof was damaged.

The road was closed between Dysart Way and St Georges Way and motorists were told to find alternative routes.

The fire service received a number of calls to the blaze and the fire was "well established" in the kitchen and a store room.

Four fire engines, an aerial ladder platform and a command support unit were sent to the blaze.

Humberstone Road has since reopened in both directions.

Follow BBC East Midlands on Facebook, on Twitter, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites