Two arrests in crackdown ahead of Notting Hill Carnival
Two people have been arrested at the start of a four-week crackdown on troublemakers ahead of the Notting Hill Carnival.
Operation Razorback has begun targeting gangs who plan to use the carnival as a venue for violence and criminal activity.
An 18-year old woman and a 25-year old man were arrested on Monday,
The west London carnival will be held on Sunday 29 August and Monday 30 August.
"The eyes of the world turn to west London over the August Bank Holiday," a Scotland Yard spokesman said.
"Using carefully gathered intelligence, officers will use the next four weeks in the run up to carnival to disrupt those planning trouble and disorder," the Scotland Yard spokesman added.
All entrances to the site will have search points to prevent weapons being taken to the carnival area, according to the Metropolitan Police (Met).
There will also be a special focus on cracking down on pickpockets.
Ch Insp Jo Edwards said: "The Met's message is a clear and simple one - come to carnival to have fun and enjoy this wonderful cultural experience, but don't come to cause trouble.
"More than a million visitors went to carnival last year, but there was no serious disorder and there were no firearms incidents for the third year in a row.
"Operation Razorback is a highly sophisticated and detailed operation aimed at ensuring those who set out with the sole intention of causing trouble at Carnival will not succeed."
Director of Notting Hill Carnival Ancil Barclay said: "We are pleased to be working closely with the police to make sure this year's carnival is safer than ever.
"The message is very clear - carnival is a fun day out and a fantastic tradition but any violence or anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated."