Tower Hamlet mayor election polls open
Voters in an east London borough are going to the polls to choose their first directly elected mayor.
Residents of Tower Hamlets have five candidates to choose from.
They will be asked to number their two favourite candidates in order of preference, with the second-preference votes redistributed if the first round fails to deliver a clear victor.
A declaration of a result by Tower Hamlet's Council is expected at about 0200 BST on Friday.
The five candidates standing on Thursday are:
- Helal Uddin Abbas, Labour Party
- Alan Duffell, Green Party
- John David Macleod Griffiths, Liberal Democrats
- Neil Anthony King, Conservative Party
- Lutfur Rahman, Independent