Man who shot at officers in London police chase jailed

  • Published

A man who fired shots as he was being chased by two police officers in south London has been jailed for possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Callum Hall fired at Pc Colin Hutton and Pc Vincent Turner as they chased him along crowded streets near Southwark Tube station last year.

Jurors saw CCTV footage showing diners dashing inside restaurants for cover.

Hall, 21, of no fixed address, was given an indeterminate sentence with a minimum term of 13 years.

The judge at the Old Bailey paid tribute to the police officers who chased Hall with "little thought for their own safety".

Judge Brian Barker, the Common Serjeant of London, said: "Their devotion to duty when under fire and afterwards was of the highest order.

"London is fortunate to be protected by officers of that quality and they deserve to be commended."

The court heard the officers had approached Hall on 5 August to speak to him about an allegation he had threatened a mother at gunpoint, and demanded money, in front of her young children.

Image caption,
Callum Hall fired at two police officers chasing him

Hall fled and was captured on CCTV being pursued by the officers along restaurant terraces packed with diners.

During the chase he produced a 9mm pistol and fired shots, sending people running inside shops for safety.

Giving evidence, Pc Hutton said he feared Pc Turner had been hit before diving to the ground himself at the sound of a gunshot.

Hall, who was cleared of attempted murder last month, was sentenced alongside three other defendants with whom he was also convicted of a series of other charges.

Deniz Ozdil, 20, of Walworth, south-east London, who was found guilty with Hall of firearm possession, unlawful wounding, and attempted aggravated burglary with a pistol and hunting knife on 28 July 2009, was jailed for 10 years.

Ozdil had also admitted possessing a shotgun, alongside a 17-year-old youth, who was given a three-year sentence.

Anthony Babalola, 21, of Walworth, who was convicted with Hall of an aggravated burglary carried out with an imitation firearm, and false imprisonment, on 22 July last year, was jailed for five and a half years.

He had also been convicted of two counts of intimidation.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.