Stockwell girl shooting: Suspect under police guard

Thusha Kamaleswaran
Image caption The family of Thusha Kamaleswaran have been staging vigils at the five-year-old's bedside

A suspect in the shooting of a five-year-old girl and a man in south London is under guard in hospital after being stabbed, Scotland Yard has said.

He was injured a day before his arrest over the attacks on Thusha Kamaleswaran and Roshan Selvakumar in Stockwell.

The suspect, 17, is in a serious but stable condition. Police said they had "an open mind" about whether Saturday's stabbing was linked to the shootings.

Two other men have been charged over the shootings and remanded in custody.

They have been remanded in custody until 10 June.

The two shooting victims, both Sri Lankan, were injured at Stockwell Food and Wine shop in Stockwell Road on 29 March.

Thusha remains seriously ill after suffering a chest wound, and her relatives have been holding vigils at her hospital bedside.

Mr Selvakumar, 35, has been discharged from hospital but will continue to receive treatment for a head injury, police said.

'Fantastic response'

Extra Metropolitan Police officers patrolled the local area on Tuesday night, exactly a week after the shootings, in a renewed appeal for information.

"We have had a fantastic response from the local community, who are working with us on this investigation," said Det Ch Insp Tony Boughton.

"There are still some witnesses that we haven't spoken to and we would like to hear from anyone who may have seen the incident or have information that may assist us."

Earlier on Tuesday Kazeem Kolawoli, 18, of Black Prince Road, Lambeth, south-east London, and Anthony McCalla, 19, of Oakdale Road, Streatham, south London, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates' Court.

Both have been charged with attempted murder.

Their next hearing is due to be held at the Old Bailey.

A 14-year-old has been bailed until a later date.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites