Battersea in pet bedding appeal after laundry room fire

image captionBattersea's clinic cares for sick dogs and cats

Pet bedding is urgently needed at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home after a tumble dryer caught fire in a laundry room.

Animals and staff were safely evacuated after the fire in the home's clinic, which cares for sick dogs and cats.

The fire started shortly after 0800 BST on Saturday and caused smoke damage to the laundry room, meaning it cannot be used for washing.

Battersea is appealing for donations of pet bedding and blankets.

'Comfortable and warm'

The clinic normally handles 20 loads of washing a day. The home's main laundry room is working at full capacity and unable to take on the extra loads.

Clinic manager Suzanne Abrahams said: "In the clinic, we care for dogs and cats with all sorts of medical conditions, such as bite wounds, skin problems, malnutrition and broken bones.

"We use lots of bedding to keep them all comfortable and warm, so any donations would be a great help. As long as it is already clean we can put it to use straight away."

Donations do not have to be new, but must be clean, the charity said. Any bedding and blankets will be welcomed but duvets and towels cannot be used.

Anyone wanting to donate can visit the animal home in Battersea Park Road, south west London, or visit Battersea Dogs and Cats Home's website.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.