London

Harrow fire and gas leak under control

A street in north London has been declared safe after a gas leak caused homes to be evacuated.

The leak was caused by a fire at about 1445 BST which badly damaged a house on Whitby Road, Harrow.

About 30 people were moved to safety and a hazard zone was set up as a precaution.

Six fire engines and 30 firefighters tackled the flames. The fire was under control by about 1730 BST.

Wembley fire station manager, Pushminder Vagarwal, who was at the scene, said: "A woman and two children escaped from the house before we got to the scene.

"They'd become trapped in the back garden so our crews led them to safety.

"The gas supply was isolated and the area has since been declared safe."

No-one was injured.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites