Pair jailed for Marvin Henry Mill Hill gun murder

Image source, Metropolitan Police
Image caption,
Marvin Henry was shot in the chest as he ran, the Old Bailey heard

Two men have been jailed for life for shooting a teenager in north London after he humiliated one of them by putting him in a dustbin.

Shervin Irvani, 20, of St Albans, and Ithai McPhee, 21, of no fixed address, were ordered to serve minimum terms of 30 years for murder.

Marvin Henry, 17, picked up Irvani and put him in the bin when they rowed after a party, the Old Bailey heard.

The youth was killed at the old English Barracks in Mill Hill in October.

Irvani and McPhee were also convicted of false imprisonment and assault of a youth in an earlier incident.

'Petty argument'

Crispin Aylett, QC, prosecuting, said: "You can easily imagine how humiliating it must have been for Shervin Irvani, so he recruited his friends to help him get even."

Mr Henry had been gunned down "for no other reason than he had ruffled the feathers of Shervin Irvani. He had dented his ego," the court heard.

Mr Aylett said Mr Henry had run away over some open ground after someone began shooting at him and his friends.

"As he ran, he was shot in the chest," Mr Aylett said.

"You may think it is as remarkable as it is alarming that someone could be so brazen as to stand there firing a gun at will, while aiming at young men hiding to protect themselves in an alleyway.

"It is the sort of thing you might see in the cinema, not on a housing estate in Mill Hill."

Mr Aylett said the shooting was the culmination of a feud between the two men which had been going on for several months.

Judge David Paget said: "You and others went armed with a loaded gun to seek out Marvin Henry who was only 17.

"Several shots were fired. It is impossible to say who the gunman was."

The jury could not agree verdicts on murder charges against Rafik Hamaizia, 19, of Highgate, and Rory Faley, 21, of Finchley, both in north London.

They were remanded in custody until September when the prosecution will decide if they are to be re-tried.

Outside court, Det Insp Euan McKeeve said: "This is another sad case of a young life lost, and young men facing a life behind bars all over a petty argument and lack of respect."

Update July 2017: Rafik Hamaizia and Rory Faley were subsequently acquitted of murder. At the Old Bailey in December 2011, Hamaizia was sentenced to a total of six years for false imprisonment and grievous bodily harm and Faley to seven years for the same offences.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.