Electric Cinema in Notting Hill evacuated after fire

Area cordoned off due to fire
Image caption Portobello Market ground to a halt due to the fire

About 200 people had to be evacuated from a cinema in west London which caught fire.

The fire broke out at the Electric Cinema in Portobello Road, Notting Hill, at about 14:30 BST.

A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said up to 60 firefighters battled the blaze and that 12 fire engines were sent to the scene.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said a cordon was set up and the road was temporarily closed.

A spokesperson at Soho House, owners of the cinema, said the fire began in its brasserie kitchen.

"Staff acted quickly, calling emergency services who were on site immediately, and all members and guests were safely evacuated with no injuries," the spokesperson added.

"An investigation is now being carried out and damage is being assessed."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites