Film director Reg Traviss 'raped sleeping woman'

  • Published
The boyfriend of late singer Amy Winehouse, Reg Traviss, arriving at Southwark Crown Court on 10 December
Image caption,
Reg Traviss denies two counts of rape

A film director raped a woman while she was sleeping in his central London flat, a court has heard.

Reg Traviss, 35, - boyfriend of the late Amy Winehouse - attacked the woman early on 31 December 2011, Southwark Crown Court heard.

The prosecution said she twice fell asleep at his flat in Marylebone High Street, to wake up with him raping her.

Mr Traviss denies two counts of rape against the woman, who had been too drunk to stand, the court heard.

The defendant was Winehouse's boyfriend at the time she died, in July 2011.

He had been with the woman, and a friend, at three bars in London, on 30 December last year before going to his home.

Sharp pain

Kate Lumsdon, prosecuting, said the complainant remembered Mr Traviss asking if she wanted to stay at his and she assumed she had said yes.

She said: "His asking that question was the last thing she remembers that evening until woken in his bed because of a sharp pain."

The prosecutor told the jury the victim realised Mr Traviss was raping her.

"She asked what he was doing and told him to stop," Miss Lumsdon said.

"He stopped. She was very shocked. He offered her a drink.

"She accepted and remembers it was more alcohol, wine."

Miss Lumsdon said the complainant felt extremely weak and suffered from a blood sugar level condition.

She said the accused asked if she wanted to go back to sleep, which she did, but woke up to find him raping her again.

Giving evidence, the woman said she had known Mr Traviss for some time and six weeks before the incident he appeared "shattered" after his singer girlfriend's death.

Sex 'consensual'

She said she decided to go back into the bed after the first alleged attack because she trusted him.

About the second alleged rape she said: "I had this blurry understanding of what was happening and I couldn't understand if it was happening or a bad dream and I just passed out.

"I can't understand how somebody so nice and gentlemanly could do something like that."

The jury heard the complainant went out with friends the following night, New Year's Eve, and then went away to New York, but waited almost three weeks before reporting Mr Traviss to police.

The film director told the police they were both very drunk and the sex was consensual and they had parted with a "big cuddle and a kiss", the jury heard.

The trial continues.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.