Two guilty of stabbing man to death in Ilford carjacking

Harjinder Singh Bhurji
Image caption Harjinder Singh Bhurji, pictured with two friends, was stabbed in the chest

Two men have been found guilty of stabbing a businessman to death in a "brutal" attack as he attempted to stop them stealing his luxury car.

The Old Bailey heard Rory Gordon, 23, of Chadwell Heath, and Jae'Don Fearon, 21, from Chingford, only stood to gain £500 for the carjacking.

Harjinder Singh Bhurji, 32, was stabbed in the heart and left on the side of the road in Ilford, Essex, in 2011.

The two men will be sentenced on 27 May.

Jurors found Gordon unanimously guilty of murder while Fearon was convicted of his manslaughter after being found not guilty of murder.

A third defendant, Andre Campbell, 23, was found guilty of a charge of handling stolen goods after exchanging the victim's iPhone for £100.

Image copyright Met Police
Image caption Rory Gordon (left) and Jae'Don Fearon will be sentenced on 27 May

Judge Michael Topolski told Gordon: "You have been convicted of a brutal murder of a innocent man.

"A brutal murder committed with a knife in the course of a commission of a crime, and all for perhaps £500."

A victim impact statement read out to the court on behalf of the family described Mr Bhurji as a "humble and reserved character" who "enjoyed life and loved to travel".

The family statement added: "Knife crime has got to stop. No-one should have to experience the pain of losing their loved one this way."

Devastating consequences'

The trial heard Mr Bhurji was parked in Stoneleigh Road, Ilford, talking to a female friend when the carjackers struck, pulling the woman out of the Mercedes SLK coupe and demanding the keys.

Mr Bhurji told them he did not have the keys and threw them behind the driver's seat but was then stabbed in the heart.

Gordon, of Chadwell Heath, east London, admitted stabbing Mr Bhurji and that he went to steal the car armed with a knife.

Image copyright Metropolitan Police
Image caption The car was found later parked near Epping Forest

Gordon and Fearon were remanded in custody until sentencing while Campbell, also of Chingford, Essex, was released on conditional bail.

Det Insp Andy Yeats, of the Metropolitan Police's homicide and major crime command, said: "Mr Bhurji was a loving son and brother who had everything to live for.

"He was a successful businessman and worked hard to provide for his family.

"Gordon and Fearon have no concept of hard work. They spotted Mr Bhurji's car and decided they would take it by force without a single thought for the devastating consequences."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites