Man dies at New Cross flats evacuated over chemical fumes

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe flats were evacuated because of chemical fumes

A man has died at a block of flats in south-east London which was evacuated because of chemical fumes.

London Fire Brigade said he was thought to have suffered an electric shock and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Fire crews were called to the building on Kender Street, New Cross, at 22:00 GMT on Thursday.

A woman and three children from the flat where the man died were taken to hospital suffering from the effects of fumes.

Image caption A window was smashed in an attempt to let the fumes out

Another man, also affected by fumes, was taken to hospital.

Eyewitness Nathan Aljoe, who lived in the block of flats, said: "I came in at about 23:00 last night where the entrance was blocked with police.

"I saw how serious it was. I saw ambulances at my front door and on the path."

The fire service said the chemical smell was likely to be a drain cleaning product used in a fourth floor flat.

About 100 people were evacuated from the block as a precaution.

Fire crews checked the building to confirm the flats were safe before residents were allowed to return.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites