Five hundred people were evacuated from homes and businesses in north London following a fire at a workshop.
London Fire Brigade was called at 15:37 BST to the blaze at Watling Avenue in the Burnt Oak area of Edgware.
It tweeted at 21:14 that is was under control and the street had reopened to drivers and pedestrians. Burnt Oak Tube station has also reopened.
Seventy-two firefighters attended and set up a 200m (656ft) exclusion zone amid fears gas cylinders might explode.
One man was taken to hospital before the fire service arrived.
It is unclear if all residents have been allowed back into their homes.
Station manager Sean Madeley from the brigade said a single-storey workshop at the back of a row of shops with flats above was gutted by the fire.
A small part of a shop was also damaged by the blaze.
Mr Madeley said: "Gas cylinders were involved in the incident. As a result, a hazard zone was set up as cylinders can explode when exposed to heat.
"Crews worked hard in arduous conditions to cool the cylinders and damp down pockets of fire."
An eyewitness said people were screaming "there's a fire, there's a fire".
She added: "Across the road, there was a chicken shop and a hairdresser and behind there, there was so much black smoke coming out of the windows.
"And then the air was becoming really toxic to breathe, so they had to evacuate and push us back across the road.
"So I asked an officer, 'what's happening?' and he said it started from a car."