A convicted paedophile at the centre of a police media appeal to trace him had already been arrested, it has emerged.
Anthony Curran, from Manchester, skipped bail in June after being found guilty of abusing three young boys.
Earlier, one of his victims spoke out in a bid to help detectives trace the 55-year-old, describing his abuser as a "risk to anyone".
But later on Wednesday it emerged that Curran had been in custody in North Yorkshire since Tuesday night.
In a brief statement, Greater Manchester police (GMP) said they were no longer looking for the sex offender.
"A 55-year-old man was arrested in North Yorkshire shortly after 11pm on Tuesday 3 August 2010," said a spokesman.
No further details of the arrest have been released.
'Worried and anxious'
Curran was convicted at Manchester Crown Court in April of 11 counts of indecency with a child - but failed to turn up for sentencing on 4 June.
Two of his victims were aged nine when they were abused and the other boy's ordeal began when he was 11. The abuse took place between 1999 and 2003.
One of the boys spoke out anonymously in a bid to help GMP trace him, saying he believed Curran should be "taken off the streets".
The boy said knowing Curran was on-the-run had left him "worried and anxious".
"I know that he knew where I lived, so I didn't know what was going through his mind or what could be happening," he said.
Curran carried out his attacks at his home in Wythenshawe and on day trips to Cheshire, Wales and the Lake District.
- 4 August 2010