Thief gets electric shock in Salford wire theft attempt
A thief suffered an electric shock and was left with "life changing" injuries after trying to steal cable from a sub station in Salford.
The 45-year-old was badly burned as he tried to steal copper cable from a sub station in Rake Lane, Clifton, just after 0500 BST.
He is being treated at Wythenshawe Hospital for burns to his face, neck, hands and knees.
A second man, 50, was arrested on suspicion of theft.
Incidents of copper cable and lead theft have increased in line with the rise in the value of metals.
'Diced with death'
Det Sgt Rachel Smith said: "This man has suffered terrible, potentially life-changing injuries as a result of his reckless behaviour.
"Obviously we are deeply concerned about this man's injuries and we hope he can make a recovery.
"However, we once again must stress the life-threatening dangers of tampering with electricity sub stations.
"Stealing cable or wiring may seem easy money to some parts of the criminal community, but, as this case shows, the consequences can be absolutely terrible.
"This is not the first time someone has diced with death to steal a few pounds worth of cable, but the time has come for people to realise it is simply not worth the risk."