Two jailed over 'grotesque' attack on teenager in Wythenshawe

  • Published
Simon Starrs; Sean Cummins
Image caption,
Simon Starrs and Sean Cummins carried out an unprovoked attack, the court heard

Two men filmed by a police helicopter kicking and punching a teenager in an unprovoked attack, have been jailed.

Simon Starrs, 23, of Hondford Road, Manchester and Sean Cummins, 23, of Sommerby Drive, Manchester, admitted assault at the city's crown court.

The court heard they carried out the attack at 02:40 GMT on 22 October 2010 in Benchill, Manchester.

Starrs received five years and Cummins received three years four months.

A third man, William Reilly, 28, of Altcar Walk, Woodhouse Park admitted violent disorder and was given a 12-month suspended sentence.

The court was told that the three were in a group of up to five men who had been drinking in pubs in the Benchill area of Wythenshawe when they came across the 17-year-old, who was walking home alone.

'Lost consciousness'

Police said they started arguing with the boy, whom they had never met and, as he tried to run away from them, he fell to the floor.

The Greater Manchester Police helicopter, which was returning from another incident recorded the end of the attack.

The court heard that the victim was punched, kicked and hit with a bottle in the attack during which he lost consciousness and suffered a bleed to the brain. He required multiple stitches to his face and neck.

Speaking outside court, Det Con Louise Moss said: "To use such a grotesque level of violence against anyone is inexplicable and we are glad that we have been able to get justice for their victim.

"He will be left with the emotional and physical scars of this incident for a long time but he should be able to get some peace of mind that we caught them quickly and put them before the courts.

"Because Reilly, Starrs and Cummins were entirely unknown to the victim, we would have had a much more difficult job to find them if it were not for the helicopter crew filming the incident and directing responding officers on the ground to them."

Update 31 August 2011: This report has been amended to clarify that, although a bottle was used in the attack, there was no evidence about which member of the group had used it.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.