Manchester

Three hurt in Manchester Food and Drink Festival blast

Three people have suffered serious burns after a gas cylinder exploded at the Manchester Food and Drink Festival.

The blast happened shortly before 21:00 BST on Monday at the Chillikoko Cuisine stall in Albert Square by Manchester Town Hall.

The three, aged between 20 and 30, were taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary with burns to their arms and legs. One victim had facial burns.

They are being transferred to the burns unit at Wythenshawe Hospital, later.

'Licensed event'

Albert Square was evacuated after the explosion while fire crews isolated three 20kg propane cylinders.

A Greater Manchester fire service spokesman said: "This was a cooking-related incident where we think the fire started in the cooking oil and escalated from here causing the gas cylinder to explode.

"This was a licensed event where all the relevant health and safety guidelines will have been adhered to."

The Health and Safety Executive is investigating the incident.

Update: This story has been amended to make clear the explosion did not happen during a cookery demonstration.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites