Manchester and Salford riot youths' sentences reduced

  • Published
Riot police chase youths during civil disturbances in Manchester
Image caption,
Riots took place in Manchester city centre and Salford in August

Four youths who committed burglary or handled stolen goods during the riots in Manchester and Salford have had their sentences reduced on appeal.

All were told by Judge Anthony Gee QC at Manchester Magistrates' Court that custody was the right decision.

Among them was a 16-year-old boy who was handed into police by his mother after troubled flared in Salford.

He pleaded guilty to burglary and was sentenced to a 10-month detention and training order, now cut to six months.

Stolen gin

The court heard how he had been on bail on suspicion of stealing a bicycle at the time of the burglary.

The boy, who was 15 at the time, went into a smashed-up Cash Converters store in Salford shopping precinct on 9 August and picked up a Nintendo DS games machine.

He plugged it into the mains but when he realised he could not switch it on, he threw it away.

The court heard he had no relevant previous convictions and, although previously excluded from two schools, was keen to return to full education as soon as possible in his final GCSE year after the "shock" of custody.

Anthony Lloyd, 17, had his eight-month detention and training order cut to six months.

He had been stopped by police in Manchester city centre in the early hours of 10 August in possession of earrings worth £50 and a number of packets of cigarettes worth £66.

Dumped in alleyway

He said he had gone into a previously-looted newsagents and was handed the cigarettes.

He admitted picking up the jewellery in the street and said he had intended it as a gift for his girlfriend.

Lloyd pleaded guilty to burglary and handling stolen goods.

Michael Fairhead, 17, of Blackley, was next to appear appealing against his sentence of an eight-month detention and training order for handling stolen goods.

Police stopped him in the early hours of 10 August in Manchester city centre as he rode his bicycle and he produced two bottles of stolen gin.

He said he had picked them up from a bag dumped in an alleyway next to a Tesco store.

The court heard Fairhead had achieved "gold standard" status in the young offenders institution for the good progress he had made.

Plundered by looters

Judge Gee reduced his order to six months.

Nathapon Francis, 18, appealed against a 10-month detention and training order imposed for an offence of burglary when he was 17 at the time.

He had entered a newsagent's in Manchester city centre which had previously been smashed up and plundered by looters.

Soon afterwards he was found by police with a number of packets of cigarettes taken from the store.

His order was reduced to six months.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.