Manchester

Kitten caught in Manchester blaze revived by fire crew

Kitten receiving oxygen
Image caption The kitten is recovering from the ordeal in the care of the RSPCA

A kitten that was pulled from a burning house in Manchester has been resuscitated by firefighters.

It was found at a property in Denison Road, Rusholme by firefighters in breathing apparatus tackling the blaze.

The two-week-old cat, who crews have named Smoky, was rushed out and revived using an oxygen mask.

No-one was injured in the fire, which Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said had been started by a "carelessly discarded" cigarette.

Watch manager Mark Brady said when the firefighters found the motionless kitten on a table in the house, they moved it to safety as quickly as possible.

"The cat came out past me and our driver, firefighter Phil Hilditch, immediately started oxygen therapy," he said.

"The cat came round and the crew almost got into an argument over who could look after it.

"Fortunately, a neighbour offered to take it in, so we didn't need to take care of it."

Since the fire last week, the cat has been placed in the care of the Bolton & Bury Cat Rescue.