Manchester

Doctor who injured boy in Manchester suspended

A doctor who gave a four-year-old boy a potentially fatal dose of medication has been suspended for three months.

Dr Gyorgy Rakoczy was found guilty by the General Medical Council of serious professional misconduct at Booth Hall Children's Hospital, Manchester.

The Hungarian doctor, who struggled with English, gave too much of the chemical phenol during a haemorrhoid operation in 2009.

The boy's injury was "catastrophic" and he has since had numerous procedures.

The panel was told the doctor mistakenly injected the boy with 16 times the recommended dose of phenol before asking a colleague to Google how to wash it out.

Dr Rakoczy had faced difficulties with his English and in communicating with colleagues at the time of the operation.

He told the panel he had sleepless nights because of his reckless mistake and he knew that his colleagues had lost confidence in him.

The chair of the panel said his mistake had been catastrophic and had damaged public confidence in medical practice.

In a statement heard by the panel, the boy's mother said: "Your world collapses, we thought our son was going to die.

"We're not really angry, it's more of a sadness.

"Every party that we've been to, every trip to the park, every holiday we've been on, it's always an issue the problems that he has been left with."

The panel in Manchester heard that Dr Rakoczy had since worked to improve his command of the English language.

But the panel said the suspension was appropriate for conduct that seriously breached expected standards.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites