Manchester shootings: Timeline of events

25 May: First shooting

A man wearing a balaclava enters a pub in the Droylsden area of Manchester and opens fire on a group of men at a pool table. Four are wounded, one, amateur boxer Mark Short, 23, shot in the neck, fatally. CCTV footage shows a man arriving by car before entering the Cotton Tree just before midnight. The gunman escapes in a Ford Focus, found on fire in Ellison Close, Hattersley, a short time later.

12 June: Main suspect questioned and bailed

Dale Cregan is detained at Manchester airport after returning from a holiday in Thailand. He is questioned over the shooting of Mark Short and released on bail.

8 August: Suspects charged

Two men are charged in connection with Mr Short's death. Luke Livesey, 27, from the Hattersley area, and Damien Gorman, 38, from the Glossop area, are both charged with one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder.

10 August: Second shooting

Mark's father, David Short, is killed in a grenade and gun attack at his home in Folkestone Road East, just a mile away from the Cotton Tree pub. Ten minutes later there is another gun and grenade attack on a nearby home in Luke Road. No-one is injured.

10 Aug - 18 Sept: Manhunt

10 August: Manchester police appeal for information about Dale Cregan, a man they say may be connected to both killings. Despite a number of reported sightings, no arrests are made.

12 August: A series of arrests are made in relation to Mark Short's killing and a third man is charged with his murder.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionPolice investigating the death of Mark Short released CCTV footage of a grenade attack on the house in Luke Road

13 August: Police say they want to interview Anthony Wilkinson, in relation to the 25 May shooting.

14 August: Police charge a fourth man, Ryan Hadfield, with the murder of Mark Short.

17 August: Police offer a reward of £25,000 for information leading to the arrest of Mr Cregan and Mr Wilkinson.

25 August: Jermaine Ward, 24, is charged with the murder of David Short.

29 August: The reward for information leading to the arrest of Mr Cregan and Mr Wilkinson is increased to £50,000.

1 September: An image of Mr Cregan is put up on screens before kick-off at Manchester City's Premier League home game against QPR.

2 September: Mr Wilkinson is arrested, and later charged with the murder of David Short.

18 September: Double killing

10:00 - Police receive a 999 call reporting a burglary at a home in the Mottram area of Manchester

10:30 - PCs Nicola Hughes and Fiona Bone are sent to investigate the report

10:55 - The officers arrive at Abbey Gardens. They are attacked with a gun and a grenade.

11:30 - Dale Cregan walks into Hyde police station and hands himself in.