Manchester

Seven rescued in Greater Manchester house fire

A family of seven was rescued from a fire at their home in Greater Manchester started by a child playing with matches.

Crews from Gorton Fire Station were called to a house on Range Street, Openshaw, Manchester at 19:20 BST on Thursday

Six firefighters with breathing apparatus tackled the fire in the first floor bedroom with two hose reels.

The family were unhurt but the bedroom was destroyed.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed said the blaze was started by a child playing with matches.

Kathryn Aylett, of the fire service, said: "Sadly cases like this one highlight just how dangerous it is when children are involved with fire setting."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites