Manchester

Girl, 14, suffers burns when dress set alight by candle

A 14-year-old girl has suffered serious burns after her dress caught fire when it brushed against a lit candle in Stockport.

Fire crews and paramedics were called to Cuthbert Road, Cheadle, at 20:00 GMT on Saturday.

She was taken to Manchester Children's Hospital, where she is being treated for burns to her back, hand and leg.

Several fires started by lit candles have been reported in Greater Manchester during the past two weeks.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said a man "was left homeless" on Friday after a house fire in Bolton.

On Thursday, two people were taken to hospital after a lit candle caused a fire at a flat in Hyde.

In a third fire, the roof of two terraced homes in Moss Side was destroyed in the early hours of 11 December.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites