Father killer Leslie Gadsby admits mother's killing

Leslie Gadsby
Image caption Gadsby is currently in Ashworth high security hospital

A man passed fit for release from a secure hospital three years after bludgeoning his father to death with a hammer went on to kill his mother.

Leslie Gadsby stabbed his 70-year-old mother, Edna, at his flat in Moscow Drive, Stoneycroft, on 31 March 2010.

He admitted manslaughter at Liverpool Crown Court, was given a life sentence and has been returned to hospital.

Mersey Care NHS Trust, responsible for monitoring Gadsby, said he had responded well to treatment.

The Trust also said he had showed no signs of violent behaviour.

Gadsby, 39, spent more than two years in a secure unit after killing his father, Arthur, with a hammer in 2004.

He was conditionally discharged from the Scott Clinic in Rainhill in 2007 and was moved into a flat with 24-hour supervision.

The court heard his carers believed he was doing so well they had considered moving him to less secure accommodation before he killed his mother.

'Tragic event'

Merseyside Police had originally arrested Gadsby in March 2010 as part of an investigation into an arson attack on his mother's home.

It was while they were searching his flat that they found her body.

Gadsby was originally charged with murder but this was reduced to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Image caption The body of Edna Gadsby was found at her son's flat

In a statement released after the hearing, Mersey Care medical director Dr David Fearnley said: "On behalf of the Trust I would, once again, like to express our condolences to the Gadsby family.

"This was a tragic event and our thoughts are with them."

The trust said an internal review into Gadsby's treatment has led to a number of recommendations.

Dr Fearnley added: "Issues have been identified which will result in new practices to ensure change and improvement.

"We are working with staff, including doctors, involved in the treatment and care of Leslie Gadsby reviewing what happened and reflecting on what could have been done more effectively, with a view to preventing anything similar happening in the future."

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has carried out an investigation into Merseyside Police's response to concerns that were raised about Gadsby days before before he killed his mother.

Its details will be shared with members of the family before being released, an IPCC spokesman said.

Gadsby was handed a minimum term of 20 years before he is eligible for parole for killing his mother.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites