Liverpool

Hillsborough: More witnesses respond to inquests appeal

Hillsborough witnesses identified Image copyright Operation Resolve
Image caption Nine people have been identified so far

An appeal to find 18 witnesses to provide new evidence for the Hillsborough inquests has seen half identified in the first 24 hours.

The appeal was launched at the request of coroner Sir John Goldring and the victims' families.

Of 6,500 witnesses interviewed so far, investigators had been unable to trace those captured on camera despite "exhausting" all other avenues.

Two police officers, one steward and six fans are still to be traced.

Ninety-six football fans died after the crush at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.

One witness, who was on the pitch when the disaster unfolded, came forward on Thursday after identifying himself from a photograph.

An Operation Resolve spokesman said eight more had now been identified, including a Nottingham Forest fan.

He said: "The response has been fantastic. To get 50% in the first 24 hours is really good."

Those with information have been asked to contact Operation Resolve on 08000 283 284.

The match between was abandoned at 15:06 BST on 15 April 1989.

Fresh inquests being held in Warrington, Cheshire, continue.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites