Duane King jailed for David Williams samurai sword murder

  • Published
Duane King
Image caption,
Duane King was described as a violent and arrogant man by police

A man has been jailed for life for murdering his former landlord with a samurai sword in Norfolk.

David Williams was discovered at his home in Leicester Avenue, Gaywood, near King's Lynn, on 12 March.

Duane King, 28, of North Everard Street in King's Lynn, had denied murder at Norwich Crown Court.

The court heard King carried out the attack because he thought Mr Williams had made a pass at his pregnant girlfriend.

The men had previously shared a home and had mutual friends and acquaintances.

Speaking after the hearing, Norfolk Police said the conviction had been secured due to the courage of witnesses who, although "clearly scared" of King, had shown the courage to go to court and give evidence against him.

Incriminating messages

Police said CCTV images showed a person, believed to be King, arriving and leaving the Leicester Avenue house on the evening of 11 March.

Officers then found Mr Williams the following day, after his mother expressed concern about him.

He had been stabbed several times in the chest and back, suffering serious wounds to his fingers while attempting to defend himself, police said.

Image caption,
David Williams was attacked with a kendo stick and samurai sword

King disposed of some of the items of clothing he was wearing, as well as Mr Williams' mobile phone, which contained incriminating messages.

He told several friends that he had killed Mr Williams and was arrested on 14 March at the council offices in King's Lynn.

Det Ch Insp Jes Fry said: "This was a vicious assault which was a huge overreaction to a perceived sleight.

"Such a violent response resulted not only, tragically, in David's death, but will also have a massive ongoing impact on his family and friends.

"I am very grateful for the courage the witnesses have shown - they were obviously scared of King and to actually go and give evidence against him has been very difficult for them."

In a statement issued by police, Mr Williams' family said he had been fighting for custody of his son and wanted to move with him to the seaside at nearby Hunstanton.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.