Norfolk

Norfolk couple found dead in Estonia poisoned by carbon monoxide

A British couple found dead at their holiday home in Estonia had been poisoned by carbon monoxide, an inquest has heard.

Banker Philip Townsend, 55, and his wife Mary, 51, from Wood Dalling Hall, Norfolk, were discovered on 24 February in the utility room.

Speaking at Norwich Coroner's court coroner William Armstrong said their deaths were "a tragic accident".

He added there was no evidence that the pair committed suicide.

He said that two generators were found in the utility room of the couple's house in Varga as work was being carried out.

A post-mortem examination was carried out on the bodies in Estonia and Mr Armstrong gave the cause of death as mechanical asphyxiation caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.

The couple's bodies are now being released for burial.

The pair are survived by their two teenage daughters.

The inquest was adjourned for further investigations.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites