Fair ride owner fined after men injured at Silverstone

The fairground ride where the accident happened
Image caption The Health and Safety Executive investigated the accident on the ride

A man who owned a faulty fairground ride at the British Grand Prix has been fined £3,000 after two people were injured when they were thrown from it.

Aylesbury Crown Court heard the men were injured when seating collapsed on the "Tagada" fairground ride at Silverstone, Northamptonshire, in 2008.

Michael Searle, from South Ockendon, Essex, who owned the ride, admitted breaching health and safety rules.

The ride failed because of corroded structural steel work on the seating.

Mr Searle was also ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.

The director of Fairground Inspection Services Ltd, Michael Rodgers, of Pymm Leys Lane, Groby, Leicestershire, who inspected the equipment, pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety rules. He was fined £3,000 with £2,000 costs.

Back injuries

His company, which is registered at Plot 10, Five Counties Caravan Park, Stretton Road, Rutland, Leicestershire, pleaded guilty to the same offence and was ordered to pay a £7,000 fine with £2,000 costs.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) spokesman said that the Tagada was a ground-level spinning machine that bounced its riders as it turned.

The court heard that on 6 July 6 2008, two members of the public were thrown off as it spun at speed. Both suffered back injuries and bruising but have since recovered.

An HSE investigation found that the ride failed because of corroded structural steel work on the seating.

The HSE spokesman said: "The corrosion was significant and clear to see and should have been identified by the ride owner, Mr Searle, and during an inspection visit by Mr Rodgers."

HSE Inspector Karl Howes said: "Everyone on this ride faced a real risk because the owner and inspector failed to comply with the law."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites