The final phase of a £4m scheme to improve the centre of Corby is due to begin on Saturday.
George Street, a major road through the town centre, will close from 28 May until 5 June while being resurfaced.
Work began last year to improve pedestrian access between the shops and the recently opened Cube, which houses council facilities and a theatre.
In 2010 developers pulled out of a £100m town centre development project due to the economic downturn.
Labour-controlled Corby Borough Council said at the time it would continue the regeneration of the town centre itself.
Heather Smith, cabinet member for roads on Conservative-controlled Northamptonshire County Council, said: "I'm delighted that work is now nearing completion.
"Although there will be some disruption while the finishing touches are put in place, it will be worthwhile when the project is fully finished.
"These new proposals will contribute enormously to giving Corby the town centre it deserves."